Most of the time between Thanksgiving and the holidays was deliberate rest period for me. My knee had become painful again and I thought rest would be a good experience, though I did breakdown and practice a few times during that period. I am now practicing sporadically again and have practiced 3 days in a row over the last few days, which will hopefully evolve again into the 6 day week. As Woyopracmo is starting very soon I better get on top of things.
I’m beginning to wonder if I have any choice, but to have surgery on the knee. I finally went to orthopedic surgeon to have it looked at (It took them four months to get me in). They now want me to go for an MRI, believing it is a meniscus tear that can be repaired (sewn back together). The recovery from that involves having my leg in a brace for 6 weeks post surgery so I can’t bend it. Basically, I only have trouble with the knee during yoga, though running is mostly out of the question at this point. Who’s to say that even with surgery I’ll be able to practice with full range of motion with the knee…I’ve heard stories of complications and whatnot with this surgery, and increased risk of arthritis. It’s a hard decision to make as I’d like to have full use of my knee again, but the potential costs, complications, etc of the surgery don’t really make it particularly appealing. I’ve only had one surgery (well 2) before in my life and I was very young and it involved some severe complications that required a second surgery to fix. So I’m sure I’m contending with some fears left over form that experience.
Not sure what to do at this point. I’m not one to have unnecessary surgery….I’m still trying to figure out if this is necessary. The MRI is the next step so I will go ahead with that and see what the results are.